MBRP 3" Exhaust Install Notes | The Focus ST Network Forum

MBRP 3" Exhaust Install Notes

Discussion in 'Focus ST Engine Upgrades' started by XRJoe, Oct 7, 2013.

1. XRJoe

XRJoe Member

First, unboxing. Nicely packaged and well-protected. Had a small dent in the outside slip section of the front resonator, but nothing 2 seconds with a set of channel locks couldn't fix. This is why you test fit everything before you start cutting parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Get the car in the air, both front and rear with jack stands. Remove the rear chassis brace with two 10mm bolts. For re-install, it can only go one way and is fairly obvious:

[​IMG]

To remove the stock exhaust without dropping the rear subframe, you have to cut it. Cut on the up run before it passes over the subframe. You'll need the back end high enough to comfortably get a reciprocating saw under the car. Be mindful not to cut into the heatshield or somehow contact the fuel tank and straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pull the rear muffler section out first. The hanger above the rear subframe is tough to reach as noted and it's much easier to remove it from the chassis side than the exhaust side. It also makes it easier to place in the new 3" pipe with it out of the way.

Remove the front section of the exhaust from the downpipe by removing the two 15mm nuts. When I first got the car I removed these and coated in antiseize. They were still a bit tough to remove after the winter. If you didn't treat yours and it has seen salt, you may have to cut the studs. Not a big deal as the MBRP system comes with all new hardware.

[​IMG]

Remove the exhaust from the last hanger and remove from the car. Here's how they match up:

[​IMG]

Start the new exhaust install by starting with the piece over the subframe first, from the back of the car. The instructions say you may have to bend the heatshield out of the way. What they mean is cut the heatshield off the rivet and move out of the way. There's no way I could bend mine to fit past:

[​IMG]

Install the hanger onto the new pipe and then onto the chassis.

[​IMG]

Now install the tail section without the tips:

[​IMG]

Don't forget the stainless, 3" Accuseal clamp:

[​IMG]

Now, the instructions say to install the front extension pipe on the downpipe, front resonator, and then the middle piece. Good luck. Working towards the middle of a slip fit exhaust is way harder than it needs to be. I attempted and then just worked like I normally do, back to front, when I know everything fits.

Install the rear resonator pipe into subframe pipe and into the rear hanger. Then slip the front resonator with clamp onto it and support with a stand:

[​IMG]

The front resonator can be installed either way. You can see the small dent here which was an easy fix:

[​IMG]

Install the front extension pipe (ANGLES TOWARDS THE RIGHT SIDE OFF THE CAR) into the resonator with clamp. You can see it installed here without the resonator and properly angled:

[​IMG]

A washer goes on the bolt head and with the nut, with the gasket obviously between the flanges. Tighten the fasteners fully and then start checking clearances under the car. Mine was a bit close where it makes the first bend towards the subframe, but didn't hit unless I really pushed on it. Once you verify everything clears, install the tips. To be honest, EVERY exhaust I saw with dual rounds I couldn't stand. Even the MBRP stock photo motivated me to keep my stock tips and hell or high water, install on this system. After getting them installed and lined up...they are staying. I love them. Everyone that felt the same as I did also agrees. They look fantastic.

[​IMG]

Align the tips and tighten them down. If I remember correctly, it's a 5/16" allen key. Work down the exhaust tightening all the clamps and verify the tips stay aligned as you go.

This looks great:

[​IMG]

The ONLY change I would make to this system besides the small change in installation order, would be to have a left and right tip instead of them both being the same. Since the fasteners both face to the right, it's annoying to fit the ratchet up between the pipes to tighten the left tip. Using a key instead of a driver would be more difficult. Out of all the things I could pick on with an exhaust install, this is probably the most minor thing and just a comment to be a PITA.

The sound of this system is great too. Really deep and quiet at idle. Cruise is great and unobtrusive. A bit of drone between 2500 and 3000rpm on light boost, but at part throttle cruise it's silent with the windows down at 50. When the wastegate opens, the exhaust really makes some noise which is how it should be. You won't aggravate your neighbors if you keep your foot out of it.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with my purchase. I paid $499 shipped for a 409 SS system AND a $50 mail-in rebate. You cannot beat that and there's no reason this doesn't stand even with any other system out there priced hundreds higher. MBRP has been with the Focus community since the beginning and I was happy to support them.

I'll grab some GoPro videos this week, but the tiny microphone isn't going to do this system justice.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. maskeet

maskeet Member

Awesome write up

3. XRJoe

XRJoe Member

Thanks!! Hoping to make some "changes" this weekend to it. Will post up my results :)

4. XRJoe

XRJoe Member

Some nicer finished shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And because I can't leave anything alone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got a 1' section of 3" 409 stainless with female slip joints from Mandrel Bending Solutions. Cut it in half and welded in a spare section of 3" 304 I had from the XR exhaust. Welded with 308 wire and 100% argon so should stand up well to winter.

Exhaust is...good loud.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  5. Macky21

Macky21 New Member

Awesome write up! Are you still using the stock downpipe? Any plans to go cat-less?

6. XRJoe

XRJoe Member

Thanks!

Yup, stock downpipe still. Catless? Probably not. I may get a catless DP and weld one of these in:

http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-812/100,cpsi,-Cell,-Hi-dsh-Flow,-High,/Detail

Any changes to the downpipe and I'll put that front resonator back in. It's at my limit of loud right now, and with any changes to the DP I think it will be too loud for me.