Want to data log or monitor your Focus ST? This is how... | The Focus ST Network Forum

Want to data log or monitor your Focus ST? This is how...

Discussion in 'FSWERKS' started by FSWerksVP, Feb 6, 2014.

1. FSWerksVP

FSWerksVP Member

With the Cobb AP, Focus ST owners have a really powerful, complete, and easy to use data logging and monitoring device. To get started you'll need to have your Cobb AP installed into your Focus ST. I recommend using the Cobb default data logging list, but that sometimes changes with updates so here is what I like to see:

Accel. Pedal Pos. – Accelerator pedal position (this is direct pedal input before translations).

Actual AFR – Wideband front oxygen sensor reading converted from Lambda to AFR.

Airflow Mass – The calculated airflow through the engine and is used for almost all flow based tables.

Boost Pressure – Manifold pressure (relative). This is MAP minus Barometric pressure.

Charge Air Temp. – Post intercooler temperature as read before the throttle body.

Coolant Temp. – Engine coolant temperature as measured post radiator.

Engine RPM – Current engine speed.

ETC Angle Actual – Electronic throttle control actual angle.

FRP Actual – Fuel rail pressure actual. This is the high pressure pump.

Grill Shutter Cmd – Commanded grill shutter duty cycle.

Ign Corr. Cyl1 – Ignition timing correction applied to Cylinder 1.

Ign Timing Cyl1 – Ignition timing after all compensations for Cylinder 1.

Load Actual – Engine load actual after all compensations.

Oct Adj Ratio Lrn – Octane adjust ratio learned. -1.0 is HIGH Octane, 1.0 is LOW octane.

Vehicle Speed – Vehicle speed when moving.

WGDC Actual – Final wastegate duty cycle after compensations.

Once you get your data logging list set up you are ready to get started. However, before you go flogging your Focus ST you should really look at the Octane Adjust Ratio Learned value. The ideal value we'd like to see is -1.00 at all times. If you see a value that is greater than that you'll want to stop and think about why that is the case. The quality of fuel is having a big impact on this, but so is the ECU calibration. The FSWerks programming for 91 and 93 octane has been thru enough testing at this point that we know that if the value changes it's from low quality fuel OR if you've recently installed a major Cobb update. This can also happen with an ECU swap or from a full wipe/update of the ECU by a dealer. If you have 0 as your OAR Learned value I would strongly recommend driving around until you see a number other than 0. It may take 15 miles or it could take just a couple of times around the block. Lastly, the -1.00 value being ideal and the 1.00 value being the worst case might seem backwards, but that is how it works; this is not a typo. I would also advise against driving the car too hard while the OAR is not at -1.00 if you want to be safe. If you happen to not be able to get the OAR Learned value to get to -1.00 give me a call at 714 693-2555. Have your AP set up to monitor OAR Lrn and Ign Corr Cyl1. I will literally stay on the phone with you and get it to adjust thru various driving situations. :cool:

Assuming you have high quality 91 or higher octane in the car, the correct program loaded for said octane and the OAR Learned is -1.00 you are ready to start logging. This is also assuming the car is behaving normally and is not in need of any maintenance. Also, we don't want to have any check engine lights on or stored DTCs. You can check for DTCs with the Cobb AP.

To get things started, we typically want to see a 4th gear data log starting at around 1800-2000 RPMs and ending at or right before redline, which is 7200 RPMs on FSWerks programs unless you've requested otherwise. To do this correctly you need to take off easy in first gear and shift into second gear at around 2500 RPMs. Then let the RPMs drop down and shift into fourth gear, skipping third gear. You will be pretty low in the RPMs in 4th gear at this point. Smoothly put your foot down to the floor in fourth gear. You should be at wide open throttle by around 1800-2000 RPMs. You'll want to go up as high as you can in the RPM range. Many people end up letting off the gas before redline since they are doing this on the street. And that is understandable since you'll be doing about 125 mph and that is CLEARLY illegal. A dyno is the only practical way to take data logs and not break the law. Or if you are lucky enough to have access to a test facility.

Some key things to consider and watch for while doing your data logs:

Keep an eye on the AFRs at WOT. Once you have transitioned into wide open throttle fueling, you don't want to see the numbers get too lean. Lean numbers are higher numbers and lower numbers mean a richer Air Fuel Ratio. For example, if you have your foot to the floor at 5k RPMs and you see AFRs at 13.2:1 something is wrong and you want to let off the gas IMMEDIATELY. If you happened to be logging send that in ASAP, but I would strongly recommend calling in to discuss what is going on. I would usually want to see the AFRs in the high 11's at WOT in the upper RPMs, but there are situations where octane, fuel type, and mods can play a part in that final AFR.

Watch for NEGATIVE values in Ign Corr Cyl1, 2, 3, or 4. We really don't want to see too much NEGATIVE activity for the Ign Corr Cyl1, 2, 3, or 4. At WOT we'd like to see 0 correction if possible, but that is not very common for an entire WOT pull. And from what we've seen over the past year of testing is that you will usually see a small amount of negative correction occasionally. We don't want to see consistent negative correction. Short blasts of negative correction are OK if they are not excessive. Our programming does pull more spark than needed when there is a detection of knock or detonation, but we still would rather not see that. If you are seeing a value more negative than -1 at WOT, please let me know. I'd like to look at the data and see why that is happening and correct it ASAP. I have personally driven for a long time during my tests with a greater negative correction and there were no problems. That is not ideal, though, and for customer's cars, we'd rather just do the work to correct it so you have the safest and most reliable power possible. Any POSITIVE values you see are fine. If your octane supports it and the knock sensor detects it, your car is programmed to ADD some ignition timing. This will result in higher performance. If you are constantly seeing high positive values feel free to get in touch with us. Though, we like to see positive values versus negative values, constant high positive values in Ign Corr could mean that something else might be going on and we'd be happy to look at it. For part throttle you might see the Ign Corr fluctuate quite a bit depending on the conditions and circumstances, such as going up a steep grade with 4 passengers and luggage in the back. The Focus ST has MANY spark tables and at lower loads than WOT you could see the ECU adjusting quite a bit for the immediate situation. If you find yourself in a similar situation and notice excessive correction you may see the OAR Learned value move away from -1.00 and that means that a call into FSWerks ASAP would be appropriate. If you ever find that you have the need, please do not hesitate to load a lower octane program into the car. Or you can UNINSTALL the AP for the absolute adjustment in a situation where detonation or knock is being picked up.

Send your data logs to me via email: sales at fswerks dottt commm and I'll reply back with how things look and/or a revision if needed. You use the Cobb AP Manager to pull logs off of the AP. Please leave them as the raw .csv file and name them accordingly. I like to use the file name that was in the car at the time the log was created and I usually incorporate the date that the log was taken, too. You can add run 1 or run 2 at the end of the name to differentiate logs made from the same program. This is the most efficient way for me to do this so please help me out by following all of the above for the best results. Please call me if you need clarification or help. 714 693-2555.

* I will keep adding to this as time allows

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014